(785) 408-4717
Thou Curator
A company dedicated to helping people create video game ...
Created: 3/12/2016 4:59:02 PM
Updated: 3/18/2016 11:44:33 AM

Game Producer

Thread Replies: 13
Thread Followers: 126
Category

Meeting Notes Code Review

We need to discuss the file system layout as it pertains to the terrain. Also we need to figure out a system for asset data to be used so programmers don't have to insert assets directly into TFS but allow the asset developed on agendas to be used so we have a record of them on the website.
Attendance
Meeting Notes Code Review Cpl Anthony Michelizzi Game Programmer
Meeting Notes Code Review SSgt Nick Cordova Lead Game Programmer
Meeting Notes Code Review 1stLt James Fleming Lead Game Producer

Thanks,
James Fleming 
Facebook
Discord

Awards: Acquired more then 40 hours logged Acquired more then 120 objective in the role 5 Contribute to an agenda that is not yours more than 7 hours. Created 9 blogs or more in 18 month period. Has remained a member on standby for more then 28 days without quitting. Has not received a System Automation notice in over 9 months. Created 3 blogs or more in 6 month period. Member receives newsletter.

Created: 3/18/2016 11:44:33 AM
Updated: 3/14/2021 3:36:36 PM

Game Producer

Member Replies 748
Member Follows 126
@Dren We use Visual Studio Online Team Foundation Server a direct link should of been emailed to you for access via web.  You will however need to access it in Visual Studio Team Explorer to download the code.

After each sprint you check in your code Nick or myself will merge it into the main branch.  When the next sprint starts simply do a merge from the main game application to your breach to keep you in-sync with everyone.

Nick and I handle all merging from the breaches to the main application so we can see the changes and make agenda's or changes we see fit.  The only merge you will need to do is to pull the main application breach back into yours before or when the next sprint starts.

Thanks,
James Fleming

Thanks,
James Fleming 
Facebook
Discord

Awards: Acquired more then 40 hours logged Acquired more then 120 objective in the role 5 Contribute to an agenda that is not yours more than 7 hours. Created 9 blogs or more in 18 month period. Has remained a member on standby for more then 28 days without quitting. Has not received a System Automation notice in over 9 months. Created 3 blogs or more in 6 month period. Member receives newsletter.
Created: 3/18/2016 11:39:35 AM
Updated: 10/22/2018 3:04:16 AM

Game Producer

Member Replies 38
Member Follows 29
Uh Whiskey sounds nice.

Couple of silly questions:
1.) Which version control software do we use?
2.) What would be the usual workflow, I do changed on my branch and make a pull request?
3.) Do we create 'pull requests' per each feature, or does everyone have their own branch and 're-base' it to the master branch?

Thanks. =)

Created: 3/18/2016 8:23:33 AM

Game Producer

Member Replies 748
Member Follows 126
@Programmer Ok thank you Anthony so then that would leave Dren with the Wiskey branch.

@Dren Please pull all the code from the Wiskey branch this will be your home in the source control.

Thanks,
James Fleming

Thanks,
James Fleming 
Facebook
Discord

Created: 3/17/2016 11:32:33 PM
Updated: 10/13/2018 3:04:51 AM

Game Producer

Member Replies 197
Member Follows 63
I was using X-ray. If all the code in all the branches are the same I have no problems using a different branch. If I remember nick was using yankee

GameProgrammer  - Anthony Michelizzi

Created: 3/17/2016 11:29:11 PM

Game Producer

Member Replies 748
Member Follows 126
@Anthony Oh yes sorry I space that out, no worries on time we all have our own breach expect dren. @Programmers To my knowledge source breanches to tfs zulu, yankee, and wiskey are the ones being used right? Delta is reserved for the designer so dren can have xray correct? I should write it down sorry.

Thanks,
James Fleming

Thanks,
James Fleming 
Facebook
Discord

Created: 3/17/2016 11:08:17 PM

Game Producer

Member Replies 197
Member Follows 63
@James. I have my hard drive installed and reinstalling Windows 10 on it now. Tomorrow I will work on reinstalling vs 2015 and Xenko and I will do what I can. Hopefully I now have all the hardware worked out in my computer aside from the other hardware updates I have planned but those should be minor and cause no downtime

Created: 3/17/2016 11:04:14 PM

Game Producer

Member Replies 748
Member Follows 126
@Anthony ok I have set it as such will you pull the main application branch when you have time it seem to be missing a class or two dealing with vertical something.  Try to get it working with whatever class the terrain is missing.  This was after merging all the branches back together so we dont fall behind.

Thanks,
James Fleming

Thanks,
James Fleming 
Facebook
Discord

Created: 3/17/2016 10:54:18 PM

Game Producer

Member Replies 197
Member Follows 63
Yes, the sample is compiled using "unsafe" code. Yes, this is the way it came from the Xenko sample. No, I do not understand why. I just made it compile on my pc and run.

Created: 3/17/2016 10:43:23 PM

Game Producer

Member Replies 748
Member Follows 126
@Anthony After pulling all the file and merging into our game application we are not getting an error which I want to run my thoughts by you before attempting to fix it.  My question: Does the terrain sample use unsafe code for displaying terrain and is their away we can limit the use of the keyword "unsafe"?

private static unsafe int SetIndexDataForTerrain(int size, IntPtr indexBuffer)

@Programmers Now after reviewing the code we still have the matter of the terrain folder.  My direct question is should we have a folder for each area of the game such as terrain, mech, sound, networking... etc etc?  My orginal thought would be to put all logic in the logic folder with an appropriate class name such as HeightMapLogic.cs or or AnimationLogic.cs and then put the scripts for the game engine in the "ScriptSync" folder.  Using the "ScriptSync" folder as presentation folder and the logic folder for the functionality of the application.

Also to go along with this I would like a universal event folder to handle all events but not the logic that goes with the event.  So in that design pattern we would put all logic call from the logic folder in the even function/methods of the event handlers.

Does this make sense to everyone?  If you have any thoughts let me know.

Thanks,
James Fleming

Thanks,
James Fleming 
Facebook
Discord

Created: 3/17/2016 3:04:01 AM

Game Producer

Member Replies 197
Member Follows 63
@Anthony How do we get your scene to show is it just setting it to the default start up scene to show the terrain?

-James If I remember right you navigated through the queue scene and it loads in place of game at the moment and allows you to navigate out. I thought that was fairly appropriate placing for what it was.

I believe there was only two classes. I used sync folders being as it was just a scene to demonstrate random terrain. Further expanding on this however, yes I believe going further with the terrain it should have its own folders for organization because it will end up using more scripting as we add more.

Created: 3/14/2016 11:27:47 AM
Updated: 5/15/2017 12:55:59 PM

Game Producer

Member Replies 60
Member Follows 25
@Nick Have you download Dren last project and what are your thoughts on it?

It was very good and showed a good understand of scripting. 

Created: 3/14/2016 10:12:17 AM

Game Producer

Member Replies 748
Member Follows 126
@Anthony I see the code for the terrain how many different class and supporting class are needed for this?  I ask this as a organizing reason should we create folders per each area instead of using the Sync folders?

What are our option to structure this soundly so that we can keep moving forward without a lot of headache with finding code or repeating code in the future with all the different system/module/part we will have?

Thanks,
James Fleming

Thanks,
James Fleming 
Facebook
Discord

Created: 3/12/2016 7:05:06 PM

Game Producer

Member Replies 748
Member Follows 126
@Nick & Anthony Let try to have our meeting this way so we don't have to worry about our schedules. 

@Nick Have you download Dren last project and what are your thoughts on it?

@Anthony How do we get your scene to show is it just setting it to the default start up scene to show the terrain?

Thanks,
James Fleming

Thanks,
James Fleming 
Facebook
Discord

SERVICES
Animator Artist 2d Artist 3d Audio Engineer Game Creation Game Producer Graphic Designer Marketing Package Asset Programmer Story & Asset Writer Tutorial Video Production
ARTICLE CATEGORY
Services